Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Put off, Put on - Sanctification in Action

In seeking to replace sinful habits and patterns, we must look to the word of God to find the biblical antidote. God's word is living and powerful or active (Hebrews 4:12); it is profitable for doctrine, reproof, correction, for instruction in righteousness (II Timothy 3:16).

Studying scripture's admonition to put off and put on is a great exercise. With that in mind, I would like to share what I gleaned from my own study. Below each passage is listed along with what we are to actively put off and what we are to actively put on instead.

1) Ephesians 4:25: Put off lying; put on speaking the truth
2) Eph. 4:26-27: Put off holding a grudge; put on forgiveness- be angry and do not sin
3) Eph. 4:28: Put off stealing; put on hard work with your own hands, share with the needy
4) Eph. 4:29: Put off corrupt words; put on edifying words that impart grace
5) Eph. 4:31-32: Put off bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, evil speaking; put on kindness, be tenderhearted and forgiving
6) Eph. 5:4: Put off filthiness, foolish talking, coarse jesting; put on giving thanks
7) Eph. 5:11: Put off fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness; put on exposing the unfruitful works of darkness
8) Eph. 5:18: Put off being drunk with wine; put on being filled with the Holy Spirit
9) Phil. 4:6: Put off anxiety; put on an attitude of prayer and supplication with thanksgiving
10) Col. 3: 8,12-14: Put off anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language; put on tender mercies, kindness humility, longsuffering, meekness, forbearance, forgiveness, love
11) Romans 13:12-14:Put off the works of darkness, revelry, drunkenness, lewdness, lust, envy, strife, provisions for the flesh; put on the Lord Jesus, walk properly

As I look over this list I see that every area of my life is revealed... my speech, my thoughts, my actions, my attitudes, my habits. I also see that sin in so pervasive that I must be on guard at all times, actively putting off and putting on while fully relying on God through prayer. But the key to every put on is the last one... put on the Lord Jesus Christ. Let us strive to have the mind of Christ in everything we do and say and think; He will enable us to put off and put on.

No comments: