Friday, February 20, 2009

Be Still

"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Have you ever heard the saying that your greatest strength is also your greatest weakness? I answer a hearty AMEN to that! I am a doer, I love to be involved in things, busy, active, I am energized by life in general... until I hit the wall. That's when I start to get quiet enough to hear that still small voice, "Be still."

Two very brief and very powerful words.... be still.

Be still - cease: cease worrying, striving in my own weak efforts, trying to fix it, maneuvering, fretting, complaining, overanalyzing, criticising, hurrying...... just stop.

Stop??? How do I do that??? Well, if I am quiet long enough (and that is a big IF), I can hear the rest of that message... "Be still and know that I am God."

I can be still if I look to God, know He is sovereign, trustworthy, unchanging. Knowing that is to recognize and understand He is God. My life circumstances and the people in it are firmly resting in the mighty hand of Almighty God. I can rest because He's got it all handled.

So my dear sisters, it is my prayer for each of us to be still and know that He is God, that we would all walk in that reality every day.

3 comments:

Kristi Butler said...

My new friend,
God is speaking through your words today. I always know that He is speaking when I hear His words from more than one source. Just this morning the very same verse was the key scripture for Oswald Chambers' devotion of the day. (I see from your bookshelf that you enjoy His writings too!) I'm going to obey...be still...wait...listen. Thank you for allowing Him to speak through you! I'll be praying for stillness for you as well. :)
Blessings!

Gigi said...

Thank you Kristi... it is a blessing to be a part of the body of Christ.

Jenni Brummett said...

After reading your post I was reminded of all the times I tell my daughter to "Be still". My expectation of her as she quiets down is to have her full attention.

My attention is pulled in so many directions every day, and yet my gaze needs to be fastened on my Heavenly Father. When it is, the worries of this life begin to fade. Thanks for the reminder

I'm new to the blogging world, but I want to invite you to visit my blog at faithmomifesto.com

Jenni