Friday, June 18, 2010

Unanswered prayer

There was a country song a few years ago that told a story about a guy who didn't get what he prayed for... his response in retrospect? Thank God for unanswered prayer! Of course this represents a fictitious situation in a country song but it does stimulate some thought.

While building a theological case around a country song might be a little shaky, the question that arises from this is still a good one. Does prayer go unanswered by God?

{Of course, I am not a theologian nor have I undertaken theology courses. So please bear in mind that this short discourse is just some thoughts on prayer that I have thunk (borrowed from Winnie the Pooh).}

I would argue that while God does actually seem silent sometimes, the outcome points to an answer. The singer confesses that he prayed and God didn't deliver but He did. In the case of this song, requests were made and were not granted. God didn't answer yes to the crooner, He answered no.

God's answers vary, yes, no, maybe, and wait. If I have prayed that by a specified deadline I will have a specific answer and it doesn't happen, what was the answer?
Well if I have prayed that God will allow me to book a makeup job that is taking place on a specific date and I don't get that job then I would say, God said no. But I wouldn't stop there, I would go on further to say that He didn't just say no, it wasn't His will for me. God, in His Sovereignty, has not opened that door.

Many times we view prayer with such a limited view - I ask, God gives. What we don't see is that God has a plan for our life and every part of our lives figure in to that, even those little seemingly unimportant things. They really do matter, they capture our hearts and affections; because of that, they can either be for our good or our harm.

Do I thank God for those so-called "unanswered prayers"? As I begin understand God's character, I can thank Him for the answer to my prayer.... yes, no, maybe, or wait.

No comments: