Monday, June 21, 2010

Communicating with God

We talk every day to people around us, I not only talk to other people but I talk to myself! Now whether or not others or myself are listening is the difference between just talking and communicating.

True prayer is communicating with God, a two way conversation. Ideally we talk, He listens; He talks through His Word and the Holy Spirit, we listen.

What prayer is NOT:
~a cosmic wish list
~a grocery list of "can I have it?"
~an emotionless duty to stay on God's good side
~the last thing we do before we go to bed to ease our conscience
~a waste of time because God doesn't care anyway

True prayer is partnering with God in the lives of others. This may seem presumptuous (and it would be if it were man's perspective alone) but it is not. Why? Because God has ordained it, it is His chosen vehicle for us.

Lifting up the burdens of those around us, sharing in rejoicing, pouring out comfort, these are a few of the ways we partner with God. It is how we build relationships, fellowship with the saints, encourage other believers and minister to unbelievers.

The apostle Paul writes to the church in Rome in Romans 15:30, "I urge you, brothers, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to join me in my struggle by praying to God for me."

No comments: