Saturday, July 12, 2008

Discontentment - the silent joy killer

As I've been "cleaning house" spiritually, discontentment has been revealed in my heart. You know, that general feeling of unhappiness and disquietude? Webster's 1828 Dictionary defined discontent, dissatisfaction, and disquietude this way:

DISCONTENT, n. [dis and content.] Want of content; uneasiness or inquietude of mind; dissatisfaction at any present state of things.

DISSATISFACTION, n. [dis and satisfaction.] The state of being dissatisfied; discontent; uneasiness proceeding from the want of gratification, or from disappointed wishes and expectations.

DISQUIETUDE, n. [dis and quietude.] Want of peace or tranquility; uneasiness; disturbance; agitation; anxiety. It is, I believe, most frequently used of the mind.

The Lord gently convicted me of how easily I come to this place in my heart. You know what He showed me? Discontentment is really ungratefulness toward my Provider. If I am totally honest this is sin in my heart - it stems from lust and envy. That sentiment is revealed in the definition above : dissatisfaction is an "uneasiness proceeding from the want of gratification". How small and ridiculous my heart and mind can be!

The remedy? Take every thought captive (II Cor 10: 4-5) and stand on the truth, God's Word (John 17:17). The truth is:
~God has blessed me with EVERY spiritual blessing in the heavenly places (Eph. 1:3);
~God has given me EVERYTHING pertaining to life and godliness (II Pet. 1:3);
~God has LAVISHED His love upon me (Rom. 5:5).
Emphasis mine

Do I deserve any of this? A resounding NO is the answer~ God does it because of His mercy and grace. He is the initiator and completor of this gift... God's Word tells me that my salvation is a gift of God and not of works lest I should boast (see Eph. 2:4-10).

Psalm 116:5 reminds me, "Gracious is the LORD and righteous; yes, our God is merciful."

I am a great sinner, prone to wander and be ungrateful. Praise God His mercies are new every morning and that His faithfulness is great (Lam. 3:22-23)! Again I confess my sin and He is faithful to forgive me and cleanse me from all unrighteousness... isn't that enough to be grateful for for the rest of my life? Yes, yes it is.

No comments: